I have started a discussion about openscap HTML report redesign.
This was gathered from comments on the referenced blog post, the openscap, scap-workbench and scap-security-guide mailing lists.
- search through XCCDF rules (identifiers, title, ID, description, …) – implemented
- filter by XCCDF result – implemented
- use HTML anchors, speed up navigation between result details and result overview (jquery popup?) – implemented
- too many colors in the introduction section – hopefully fixed
- organize rule results into groups, display rule overview as a tree – implemented
- show severity in rule overview – implemented
- report fail and error rules by severity in addition to the standard XCCDF score system – TODO
- sort by severity in rule overview – TODO
- sort by identifiers in rule overview – TODO
- false positive waiving, other means to pass feedback about why rule fails – probably out of scope, would need a new file format to store the waivers
I have created a new branch in the openscap repository where I am continuing with this effort. Instead of a prototype HTML the repo has working XSLTs. Keep in mind that the branch breaks openscap tests and you can’t generate HTML report using the oscap tool command line. Instead you have to use xsltproc directly for now.
All the usual disclaimers apply. This is not the final version, a lot more than is necessary is bundled, not everything works.
Open the out.html file in a reasonably modern web browser.
Would appreciate feedback again. I plan to continue working on this next week.